Saturday, February 20, 2010

Hey all~

Long time no post, sorry about that, but with project clean out the fridge there was no exciting cooking or baking going on.

I did, however, get some pretty cool swag from the Rachel Ray show on Wednesday! Thanks to my friend Sarah who invited me along, I was able to attend a morning taping of the Rachel Ray show, and sat 3rd row!! In addition to the snack of the day, Glow Gluten Free cookies, which were delicious, she also gave out all the goods from her Kitchen Essentials segment (will most likely air sometime next week).
The goodies included 2 microplanes:
Rachel's new self sharpening knife:
Look at the cool criss cross action of the sharpener:
Love everything about this knife-perfect weight, size, and sharp!
Today I moved from cleaning out the refrigerator to the cabinets. As a result I came up with a pretty simple but yummy dinner.

Into the sauce pan went-
1 cup onions
1/2 package frozen corn
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 can 15 oz black beans
1 can 15 oz canned tomatoes
1 garlic clove

I started by sauteing the onions, threw in the frozen corn and when it began to warm I added the seasonings and the remaining ingredients, brought to a boil, and simmered for about 25 minutes.
Originally I was going to make cornbread to go with this dish but opted to try out cornmeal pancakes. I went with a vegan recipe but left out the sugar since I was making it for a savory dish and the end product was more of a crepe (very thin).
But it worked out okay and still tasted pretty good.
I ended up throwing in a handful of spinach into my serving and allowed it to wilt:
Also topped with salsa after taking this photo:
Off to watch speed skating!

Nicole

5 comments:

  1. Nice Swag...so much fun! I have the same knife...would love to have a self sharpner...very nice!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole!! You must tell me all about the Rachel Ray show. Sounds incredible! I have been gluten-free for almost 2 weeks now and am happy to see the cookie recipe. Hope you are doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. perk of living in NYC = going to show tapings :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel Ray Show...when does it air?

    ReplyDelete