Thursday, September 24, 2009

Home sweet home

Last week I took a break from the big apple and went home to Philadelphia for the weekend. I actually live in the suburb of Philadelphia, about 40/45 minutes outside of the city.

While there I got to play with my doggies, the old man Poochie(I think he's 14 years old):



And the young lady, Lucy:



One thing I love about going home is not having to think about what to cook for lunch or dinner. While I love to cook, sometimes it's nice to have a break. My mom found some new recipes she wanted to try out while I was home. First up was a Peach Salsa Pizza. This was a 4 ingredient dish and quick cooking, perfect for lunch. The key players included:


1. Pilsbury pizza crust spread out and flattened on a baking sheet.
2.Peach salsa used as a tomato sauce replacement.
3. Mozzarella cheese melted on top.
4. Bell peppers chopped up for a topping.

This pizza was amazing! This particular salsa was spicy and with the natural sweetness of the peach, which was enhanced after cooking, the flavors combined to create a party in my mouth.


Next up was a Quinoa fruit salad, in the mix included:
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
2/3 cups each of pecans and dried cherries
1 chopped apple
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 table spoon of honey
salt and pepper to taste

Rinse the quinoa for a minute or two under cold water. Bring the 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the quinoa, and reduce to simmer and cover. Cook for about 20-25 minutes until tender. Meanwhile mix together the oil, lemon juice, and honey to make the dressing. Add cooked quinoa and the remaining ingredients. Voila!
















1 comment:

  1. That fruit salad looks incredible! I need to remember to try quinoa in a fruit salad!

    ReplyDelete