Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pie!

I just baked the best pie I've ever made, seriously. I didn't know it was going to be that good, but it is! So here's my pie story.

We planted rhubarb in our garden this year, a first for the garden. We didn't know whether it would grow or not. Luckily, we've had good weather and the garden is flourishing. The rhubarb was doing great, so I started looking for a recipe for a pie. I was looking in an old Taste of Home magazine and saw Strawberry Rhubarb Meringue Pie. I actually had all the ingredients on hand except for the strawberries. I bought the strawberries and started on the pie.

The only trouble I had was with the crust. It just wasn't rolling out very well, but I finally got it to work. I made 2 substitutions from the original recipe: tapioca instead of flour for the pie thickener, and splenda-sugar blend instead of just sugar.

The finished product was simply beautiful and tasted so very good. The filling was not runny and the meringue was fantastic. This was the very first time I have cooked with rhubarb, and I will definitely be using it again and again!



~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment