Saturday, August 29, 2009

Fall Approaches

Hey all. How did we go from 91 and humid, talking Jungle climate, to 73 and rainy. It can't be fall yet, we only had a month of summer! Oh well, I can handle the fall. I'm kinda itching to break out the canned pumpkin to add to smoothies, cookies, pancakes, and oatmeal. Except I forgot to buy some during my green market, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's shopping extravaganza this morning. Not that I could have possibly carried another thing, with four bags my body still aches from my 6 block waddle (most of them long avenues) from the bus to my apartment.

I had my first taste of pumpkin at the beginning of the week when Amanda and I went to Josie's East. The restaurant boast natural and organic goods, and caters to vegetarians as well as meat eaters. Sitting down to the meal, they offer a selection of fresh baked breads along with a spread (on this day it was pumpkin based). Amanda and I both selected the multi-grain.


For dinner we both also selected the Roasted Asian Marinated Organic Tofu Salad with
baby spinach, roasted vegetables, chickpeas, avocado & balsamic vinaigrette. When the dish was first brought to the table, I found the tofu far from eye pleasing. It appeared that they took a block of tofu, drained it and gave half to me and the other to Amanda. Not to completely dismiss the tofu I took a bite and was pleasantly surprised. It was very juicy and full of flavor and did accompany the abundance of roasted vegetables. In the end I was more than satisfied, but the presentation could use some work. Between the east and west locations, Josie's West is the better option with greater vegetarian options as well.


To end the week we went downtown for a bit of raw dining at Andelina's Vegetarian Restaurant. Amanda noticed the restaurant while walking around Irving Pl and her interest peaked when she noticed the availability of affordable raw food.

To whet our appetite they brought raw crackers.
Amanda had the sunburger, a raw veggie burger with avocado, lettuce and tomato on a round flat bread.
I ordered a slice of the Pomodoro pizza (marinated tomatoes).
Amanda trying to take a complete bite of the huge burger.

In the end neither of use were able to finish our meals. For me the crust was too intense. Perhaps after a few more raw food adventures I could process all the veggie pulp and flax seed that went into it; however, with a movie in the works after dinner I wasn't trying to test my digestive system.

Last thing for today, check out this giveaway from Miss PBJ and this one for Nature's Path cereals

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment