Monday, March 22, 2010

The Great Outdoors

The weekend was so beautiful, and I was able to spend a great deal of it outdoors. Well that is in between two long Megabus rides full of people who find it okay to spend the entire time on their cell phones! What happened to quiet rides, or privacy. I really don't care to hear you gossip about your friend's boyfriend's issues. I also don't care to hear you poorly sing/rap along to your blasting tunes, I'm pretty sure those activities are reserved for car rides when you are solely in the company of your friends. Ok, rant over.

My bus into the city on Friday was late due to crazy traffic. I left NYC at 1:45 pm and didn't make it to 30th st until after 5! By the time I made it to my hometown it was 6:30 and I was starving, thankfully my Mom packed me a salad and grapes, and we were able to continue on our errands. Thanks Mom!



Saturday was also full of lots of errands but we also made our way to Wayne in order to stop at Great Harvest. I've been dying to try this bread; I've heard so many great things on other blogs. I ended up purchasing the honey whole wheat and a cinnamon scone. Both are outstanding! Wish I bought more to freeze.


Despite only living, maybe 45 minutes from Wayne, we've only been there in passing. The town had a cute city center, so after our bread purchase we walked around a bit.




Loved this candy store, may have taken advantage of the stock candy selection.



After a few other errands we picked up my sister and headed to dinner. Originally we had intentions for a 5 course Moroccan dinner, but my sister had been hopping from one Rita's water ice to another with her youth group (on the first day of spring each year this local chain gives out free water ice). Although she only had 1.5 they had also gone for pizza beforehand. My mom and I were quite hungry, but we decided to put off the Moroccan dinner for my next visit and tried out The Village Tavern, a place we've passed several times but never considered until a family friend raved about the food. We didn't know what to expect, but the place was amazing! They had a wide selection on the menu including several vegetarian options. After some debate I ended up ordering the Portobello Mushroom Burger with sweet potato fries. The food was simple but delicious and full of veggies. The mushroom was juicy, but the sandwich also included roasted peppers, and a large portion of wilted spinach, mmm.


Afterwards I made it to Target and stocked up on spices, tea, and coffee. Then I met up with Sarah so we could finally see Alice in Wonderland in 3D. Again, I didn't know what to expect, I've been hearing so many bad things. While it was definitely odd, would you expect differently from Tim Burton, I thought it was pretty good. The ending seemed rushed, just a way to draw things to a quick close. But the Mad Hatter was amazing, the movie would not have been the same without him!

Sunday, was a bit more low key. After church we decided on a whim to head to Peace Valley Park to get some more Vit D. Usually we like to pack lunches/picnic when we go out after church but since there was no planning we picked up a couple of foot long veggie delights from Subway.



After walking around a bit to let our food digest we turned up the energy expenditure with some wiffle ball and frisbee.


Then it was back to Megabus, for another wonderful commute :(


Ahh...currently the temps are about 20* lower and it's rainy. That's actually a good thing, I'm not tempted by the sun to go outside and avoid lab work.

Have a great day!

Nicole

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an amazing time! I love Great Harvest! The one near me lets you sample everything so I always leave stuffed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible weekend! All the pictures are wonderful -- I felt like I got to see your whole weekend! I went to GH once when I was back in GA and was very impressed as well! PS I LOVE that you played frisbee!!

    ReplyDelete