Thursday, August 11, 2011

This week in food

Sunday, zuchinni fritters with dill dipping sauce:



Monday, dinner with Ena. On the menu...eh something mexican inspired? My CSA last week consisted of tomatillos, tomatoes, onions, and such so it was definitely a mexican kind of week. For Ena's dinner I decided on mexican mushroom burgers with saffron rice on the side. But silly me forgot to snap a photo of the final product :(

As a result the cooking steps will have to suffice.


Attempt #1 at making salsa verde for the week = an incredibly watery salsa. Forgot I should have only added a cup of water instead of two as the recipe called for :(


Attempt at making saffron rice. Faired slight better here but think the rice could have still been a little more flavorful, need to find a better recipe.


Added some roasted zucchini to pump of the vegetable volume.


The end result equals yellow rice thanks to the turmeric but maybe I needed more saffron?


The queso came out pretty amazing though. Made use of this recipe except I used plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

Tuesday night = fish tacos with Matt. No complaints about this meal, everything was delicious! However, I once again forgot to photograph the final product, I guess I'm just too excited or hungry to eat :/

For the fish we used flounder and then topped with coleslaw.

For the slaw:
1/2 head of cabbage finely chopped
1/2-1 whole avocado
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
1 jalapeno pepper
5 tablespoons lime juice

Mix all together and refrigerate until ready to use.

Also attempted salsa verde again, much better this time around, though it still could have been a little less watery. I guess that depends on your salsa preference.


Wednesday=John's Pizza on Bleeker with Susan and Dana. Can't believe I've lived in New York for so long and I've never been! Pizza for me is basically a no no due my recent tomato allergy development but I couldn't resist trying out the famous establishment, so I popped in 2 Benadryl and indulged. So glad I did, by far some of the best pizza I've ever ate!!



That's it for now...but how is it only Thursday? This week is going by so slowly...though not exactly wanting to rush August along so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Laterz,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment