Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cookie Exchange Party

Hey all, Nicole here!

It's been such a fun, festive, and sugar filled weekend!

Friday night my lab got together for a new monthly "fun day." This month it was hot chocolate and s'mores made in the grill. To be honest I came pretty late because I finally was getting some positive data for the first time all week and I wanted to go home first and have a light healthier dinner. I still ended up eating a too much candy and was on sugar overload :p


Saturday I made it to the gym for urban rebounding, jumping on a mini trampoline for 45 minutes, fun and a great workout.

Then rushed home to grab lunch and then back out the door for many errands. And to enjoy the NYC holiday season at the same time.

Which included lots of Christmas trees:

And Santas all dressed up and drinking as part of Santacon:


I became the most domestic me ever when I got home at 5 and had 2 hours to finish cleaning, prepare my appetizers, and cookies for my cookie exchange!

Somehow all the pieces pretty much came together and luckily the first to arrive, my friend Ryan, helped me finish decorating my cookies.

I made chocolate shortbread cookies which were incredibly easy, the hardest part was melting the white chocolate. Not the prettiest, I guess I rushed dipping them in the chocolate...but still yummy!


ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup softened butter
2 cups flour
1/2 unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix sugar and butter until creamy. Add flour, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Roll out dough onto lightly floured surface, about 3/8th thick and cut with cookie cutters! Bake at 350 for 10-13 minutes or until firm on an ungreased cookie sheet. Immediately remove from the cookie sheet.

Topping
1 cup white chocolate
peppermint candies

Crush candies and set aside. Melt chocolate slowly over double boiler and dip cookies into chocolate. Sprinkle candies onto cookies after dipped. Place cookie into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to help chocolate harden.

For appetizers I put out a few cheeses, crackers, veggies, hummus, guacamole, and made a healthier spinach and artichoke dip which featured roasted red peppers. All I have to say is go make this now!







There was also wine and a special snicker doodle cocktail which I forgot to photograph, but it was yummy and easy and went with the cookie theme:

1 oz vanila vodka (2 tablespoons)
1 oz cinnamon simple sugar
1 oz half and half (sounds gross, but again it's only 2 tablespoons)
1/2 oz of creme de cacao

Other cookies of the night. So proud of everyone for all the different varieties!








Time to hit the gym to work off the sugar, but so worth it, such a fun night!

1 comment:

  1. That snicker doodle cocktail looks great! Looks like you have been enjoying the season to its fullest. I bet the whole city is just gorgeous right now :)

    ReplyDelete