Monday, May 10, 2010

Ethiopian Food

This is from an old event, but worth going back to because the food was so good! A little less than a month ago my friend John celebrated his birthday and as a bit of a surprise several of my classmates took him to an Ethiopian restaurant in Harlem. Getting to Zoma was a bit of a mess. Despite giving ourselves 1.5 hours to get there we ended up missing our reservation by 15 minutes thanks to subway issues (traveling uptown, especially on the westside is nearly impossible on the weekends because there is always some subway construction going on).

After making the commute we didn't want to go anywhere else so waited another 20 minutes for a table to open up. It wasn't so bad though, and we had a blast in the nearby Dunkin Donuts while we waited for our table ;).


It was worth the wait, the food was delicious. I shared the Vegetarian Combo with Amanda, which include Gomen (collard greens), Atakilt (a carrot, potato, and cabbage dish), and two bean dishes one with chickpeas and the other with lentils, but I can't recall the names. Ethiopian food is served on top of a type of flatbread called injera. You also use injera to pick up bites, no utensils are used.


After hearing it was John's birthday the waitress brought him out a piece of baklava, not exactly Ethiopian, but what would be an Ethiopian dessert?



Have a great Monday!

1 comment:

  1. I've NEVER had Ethiopian food! My friend did it for her birthday but I couldn't make it. I've heard it's really spicy which would be right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete