Friday, May 14, 2010

Time for a break

I just sent my thesis proposal to my committee members and before I begin to work on my presentation I thought I would catch up on my blogging.

Where did I leave off...

On Mother's Day after church I came home and made some of the best french toast using the Apple Bread from Great Harvest. My mom said these pictures make the french toast look burnt, but whatever, it was amazing!






Monday, and back in NYC, my birthday celebration continued as the coworkers took me out to lunch at a nearby Thai restaurant. I had the lunch special-appetizer and entree.

Papaya (Som Tom) salad:
Pad Kra Prow:

For dessert I ordered their pumpkin custard (with 8 spoons in order to share), not knowing what to expect, but the coworkers said I had to order something. Despite it's look it was so yummy, a hint of coconut I think?


Group photo...so sad, all but two of the photographed will be gone by the end of the month, my lab will be so small!



To celebrate so many leaving the lab we had a goodbye party on Tuesday. Foodwise I only photographed the dessert table. Mostly because I was impressed by the lemon meringue cake!

But lots of people photos...

My boss, postdoc, and former lab tech:



Swedish medical students Sara and Elin both leaving at the end of the month, and tech Sarah-not leaving me!:



Postdoc, Zach and 2 techs, Jo Ling and Sarah, all leaving:


Med students and yet another tech leaving, Johnny:


Finally, cute daughter of lab postdoc:



On a different note, I just spoke with the organizer of a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) and I agreed to volunteer weekly for the season (June-November). What is a CSA? Well here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. A share consist of a box of seasonal vegetables and in the case my my CSA fruit (but at an added cost). Neighbors purchase a share at the beginning of each season and in return receive a box of produce each week. By purchasing the share neighbors reap the benefits and the losses of the farmer (if it's a bad season produce amounts and variety will be low).

As a volunteer I will be setting up each week and as a bonus I will receive a share of my own! I'm pretty excited to see what this year's crop has in store!!

Back to work,
Nicole

3 comments:

  1. That french toast doesn't look burnt - it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for celebrating with classmates! Oh I would love to join a CSA -- kudos to you for being a part of something that is so good. And, the french toast does look so yummy! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete