Thursday, January 13, 2011

Vegetarian Cooking

Quite accidentally, I've cooked two (almost) vegetarian dinners in a row! I've been trying to go meatless more often.

Tuesday night was spinach artichoke stuffed shells. There was definitely more veggies in these than the traditional stuffed shells. And they were very good! The picture below is before baking, but you get the idea.



Wednesday night was midwinter minestrone. Now, this was almost vegetarian. We already had the chicken stock, so why buy the veggie stock? It called for sun-dried tomatoes, and I accidentally bought smoked sun-dried tomatoes, which gave the soup a smoky, nice flavor. It had kale in it, which was super tasty as well.



This morning, I was up early enough to make steel-cut oats. I cooked an apple while the oats were boiling away in a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon, and it turned out great! I like the texture of the steel-cut variety. I added a packet of splenda and a splash of vanilla extract in the oatmeal before topping it with the apples.



Tomorrow I will be getting lots of exercise by skiing! My little brother got good grades in his first semester of college, so his reward is skiing. Not looking forward to being in the cold all day, but it should be fun!

~Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Great meals! I particularly like the look of your steel-cut outs and apple combination!
    I hope you enjoyed skiing! I've been afraid to try for fear of breaking all my bones! haha

    ReplyDelete