Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sweatin'

Boy was I sweating as I unloaded vegetables from the truck at my CSA today. While I might not look my best in 94* weather this year's tomato crop is loving every moment of the high temperatures and lack of rain.

I made those tomatoes sweat it out a bit themselves as I cooked up tonight's dinner. Now, this is no secrete, pizza is one of my favorite foods and makes for such an easy dinner. Tonight's pizza was particularly delightful thanks to my homemade tomato sauce.

For my sauce I sautéed...
2 tomatoes
1 Hungary Round Pepper (they're short, flat, and shamrock shaped)
1 Red Scallion
1 clove of garlic
6 large leaves of basil
in olive oil and a pat of butter.

After about 5 minutes over medium heat I began to smash the tomatoes and continued to cook over low heat until tomatoes were completely soft. I then added pepper, dash of salt, and for a kick half of a hot pepper.



After piling up my pizza crust with a large handful of spinach...


...I added my sauce and a bit of cheese.

5 minutes at 500* and yum!



In other news, do you know what this is below?


It's edamame!
Hope it's worth all the work, it took about 20 minutes to pick from the stems! I'll let you know how it turns out.


Finally, lunch today was random but good so I wanted to share. I started with cut up strawberries, a blueberry chobani, and Kashi Honey Sunshine cereal. To make it a bit more hardy I added about 1/8 cup of oats, for fun a few chocolate chips, and for texture I added a splash or so of almond milk. By the time lunch came around the milk was absorbed by the oatbran but I still had crunch from the cereal. I mixed with the strawberries and yogurt and was a happy girl!

Night,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment