Monday, August 30, 2010

Don't be scared of eggs...

just watch which kind you buy! With all of the egg recalls, I wasn't really worried. I always buy Eggland's Best or organic. You might as well buy good eggs if you eat them frequently. I ate the leftover steak from last night for lunch, so I wanted something lighter for dinner. I quickly decided on huevos rancheros, one of my favorite egg dishes. If you've never heard of it before, it's a Mexican egg dish. I make it with very simple ingredients, but I'm sure you could essentially put anything in it you want.

First, I combine one jar salsa (I used my homemade salsa), one can of black beans, drained and washed, and one can of corn in a large saucepan. After it comes up to a simmer, make a well for each of the eggs, and carefully crack them in. I have 2 eggs per person:



Next, cover and let the eggs cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until the whites are cooked through. I like the yolks a little runny, so I tend to cook about 8 minutes.



Sprinkle cheese over the eggs, cover, and let melt for 2 minutes.



Serve in tortillas, with toppings such as sour cream, cilantro, and my favorite seasoning: konriko brand jalepeno seasoning! I use it in place of salt on pretty much everything.



They're so good, you'll want to make them every week!

Finally, my favorite song of the moment is Plain White T's "Rhythm of Love." It's a fantastic song for the end of summer, and I can't help but sing along every time I hear it!



~Sarah

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicous and easy to make! PS Love the song!

    ReplyDelete