Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Easy Meals

Hey fellow bloggers! I am not one to shy away from complicated recipes. I love trying to incorporate new foods and new techniques into my cooking. However, sometimes I like to go back to recipes that I know and love, or try new recipes that have simple steps and ingredients that I already have on hand. Here are a few examples.

Although I only lived in Louisiana for a year and a half when I was very young, I still love and appreciate Cajun food. An easy one-dish Cajun meal that anyone can make is jambalaya. It has regular ingredients, but when combined, makes a great dish. It is easy to make this a healthy dish as well. Our recipe comes from a low-fat Louisiana kitchen cook book.



I never really liked fish growing up. I don't know many kids who did! But there was one way my mom would cook fish, and my brothers and I would always eat it. I made it this way the other day, and it was just as good as I remember! You start by cooking the fish in a little butter or oil, garlic, and white wine. Once the fish is cooked about halfway, add in your favorite salsa (I used fresh salsa) and beans or corn or both. Cover and cook a few minutes more until done. I serve this with rice and a veggie.



It is always nice to find a recipe that you already have the ingredients for. While looking through one of my many Rachael Ray cook books (yet again!) I saw a recipe for Almost Tandoori Chicken, which is an Indian-spiced chicken. Having made many ethnic meals before, I already had all the spices on hand, so I only needed a few more ingredients. The recipes also includes an apple-tomato salad which is great with the chicken. I added cilantro to the salad to make it even better, and also served naan and cauliflower on the side.




I also found a dessert I wanted to make in Taste of Home magazine, which I had every ingredient except for one. They had a section in the latest issue of different kinds of dessert bars, and I baked the Mango Getaway Bars. They were easy to make as long as you have a food processor, and turned out pretty good!



Lastly, there has been some good, and some not-so-good, new music lately.

I've heard Martin Solveig and Dragonette's "Hello" a few times, and I've liked it since the 1st time I heard it. The music video is pretty good too!



Now, when I heard Duck Sauce's "Barbra Streisand" for the 1st time, I was confused. They don't say much else in the song other than "Barbra Streisand"! I just watched the music video, and I have to say, it's a much better song if you have the music video to go with it. It's not a great song for the radio.



~Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to borrow that chicken recipe for when I have my aunt and uncle over to dinner. It looks easy and it's Indian with a twist, like me, haha. Also, I had a party this weekend and had YouTube videos playing on my TV. I had that one on the playlist because it was such an interesting music video.
    - Vinti

    ReplyDelete