Monday, May 2, 2011

Dirt on my face

In my last few post I've highlighted the vacation portion of my trip to Peru; however, I have not discussed the volunteer portion which is what brought me south of the equator for the first time.
I haven't spoke about volunteering thus far for 2 reasons, 1) my days last week were pretty long and I was exhausted once I returned to my hotel room and 2) we were asked not to take any photos of our experience until the second week.

It being the second week I have some photos to share! As part of the program I'm also required to alternate between finding a quote and journaling about my experience to share with the group during our morning meetings, so I'll share those as well.

Today's quote:
It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal entry I will share tomorrow morning:

Towards the end of last week, and after washing countless socks and underwear, folding several loads of laundry, changing beds, mending clothes, and cleaning out lunch boxes I was begining to feel underutilized. Well, maybe that's not the best word choice, my time was certainly being filled, but I wasn't feeling very stimulated and felt that I could better utilize my skills to improve the school environment. I expressed my concern with Tatya on Friday and within an hour she found several projects just waiting for my hands. As a result I didn't see much of my kids on Monday and instead spent most of the day sanding the iron bars framing windows of a newly designated play room in preparation for a new coat of black pant. I can't recall the last time I've gotten so dirty and was so thankful that Tatya bought masks and gloves. I'm also thankful that I received my tentus booster before coming on this trip. I honeslty can't imagine how long ago the paint I was removing had been applied and underneath it was so much rust and everything was just covered in dust and spider webs. I worked until about 3 simply sanding and then attemped to wash the bars using only water and a cloth, given what I had I think I did a decent job. Tomorrow morning I plan to paint and wash the windows and am excited to see the finished product. I also need to remember to apply an extra coat of sunscreen, even with the layers of dirt and rust on my face.







I also had the opportunity to meet Hermono Jugo on Monday, though the encounter was very brief. I introduced myself and he to me letting me know that he was the director of the school; however, I didn't see him for the rest of the day. Tatya said we can ask him anything, even challenge him a bit. While Joanne and I have discussed our qualms about the school and the way the program is run I'm not sure I could ever approach him about them. Maybe I can simply ask him how the school came to be and about the design of the structure? Certainly something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment