Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Year End Music Recap

Hey all-

I love looking back at the year's music, especially the breakout artist. I have spent the last week reviewing several top 100 list including main stream and indie. I was surprised to find that both Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift made it pretty high on both sides and I'm not in disagreement, both ladies did a pretty decent job transcending music genres.


The Billboard top 100 list was dominated by Lady Gaga and the Black Eye Peas who shared the top 4 slots. Other dominators of the chart included Beyonce, Brittany Spears, and Ti. I was surprised that Kid Cudi's "Day 'N' Nite" made it to #28. I first heard Cudi more than a year ago and was constantly forcing my friends to listen, I knew I was hearing a good thing! Kings of Leon also made it to a mainstream audience as evident by their #14 hit Use Somebody.

Though I'm not quite in agreement with their list, Pitchfork offers a pretty comprehensive top track and top album list of 2009.

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/7742-the-top-100-tracks-of-2009/

My favorites of the year include:

"The Dodos"-Fables
"Cornerstone"- Arctic Monkeys
"French Navy"-Camera Obscura
"Stillness Is the Move"
"Two Weeks" -Grizzly Bear
"Heads Will Roll"-Yeah Yeah Yeahs
"1901"-Phoenix

What were your favorite 2009 songs?

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment