Thursday, April 29, 2010

Cookies, and dragon fruit, and blood oranges, oh my!

So it's been a pretty good week. I've subbed 3 out of the 4 days. Here's hoping I get a job for tomorrow! Today, my breakfast consisted of a homemade maple scone, 2 clementines, and a dragon fruit-flavor light yogurt. The local Genuardi's grocery store has some interesting yogurt flavors in their store brand. Yesterday, I had an apple-goji flavor, and it was really good! Today's wasn't as good, but still tasty. I still have 2 interesting flavors left, I'm excited to try them.



And I had 2 servings of fruit for lunch! Strawberries and a blood orange. Nicole got me hooked on them! I hadn't been able to find them, but on a trip to another grocery store, I found them in a 4-pack for $2--not too bad! Apparently, the red coloring is due to anthocyanins, which reduce free radicals, like cancer-causing cells, in your body. Plus, they taste a bit different than a regular orange, a bit of a berry flavor. I only have one left, so it's time to get some more!



Last night, I made shortbread choc. chip cookies. I decided trying to replace half of the reg. flour with brown rice flour. The cookies ended up tasting very good, but the consistency was more crumbly than usual. I think I'll try subsituting oat flour next time I bake something.



That's it for now!
~Sarah

3 comments:

  1. I have always been curious about the blood orange and after reading this I will have to try one. I just tried ugly fruit[also called unique fruit], you might like to try that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just realized another Philly connection, we both start our sentences with "So"...haha!

    ReplyDelete